Thank you for your interest in and concern for the communities in Sonoma, Napa and further north as they begin the long road to recovery after the devastating wildfires. OneJustice is maintaining this webpage to a) provide information about how you can support on-the-ground legal aid providers and b) information for attorneys interested in providing pro bono work for the affected communities.
If you are a survivor of the wildfires and need legal help, we encourage you to consult this detailed Northern California Fires legal handbook provided by Morrison & Foerster LLP, to visit the California State Bar website, LawHelpCA.org, or to call the Legal Hotline at (415) 575-3120, Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
UPDATE - JANUARY 29, 2018:
The North Bay Disaster Fraud Task Force has received indications that contractor and/or construction fraud could be occurring in the North Bay Area, as part of the recovery efforts following the wildfire disaster. Click here to learn more about how to identify and avoid fraudulent contractors.
I want to donate to legal services
Thank you for your generosity. The local legal aid organizations working on disaster-related services are listed below. We urge you to donate to them today:
- Legal Aid of Sonoma County: http://legalaidsc.org/donate/
- Bay Area Legal Aid (for Napa County): https://baylegal.org/give/
- California Rural Legal Assistance: http://www.crla.org/donate
- Legal Services of Northern California: https://lsnc.net/donate
- International Institute of the Bay Area (Sonoma and Napa counties, focused on immigration services): http://www.iibayarea.org/donate/
- UndocuFund for Fire Relief in Sonoma County (direct funding for undocumented immigrants in Sonoma County): http://undocufund.org/
- The California Bar Foundation is accepting donations for a legal fund to help local legal aid organizations responding to the fires. The site also contains a form for legal services organizations to request funds to aid in legal response efforts. More information can be found here: https://www.calbarfoundation.org/rapid-response-disaster-relief.html
I'm an attorney and want to volunteer
Thank you for your interest in providing pro bono legal assistance to fire survivors! Below are upcoming opportunities to volunteer and updates from legal aid providers:
- Legal Aid of Sonoma County: "Please visit our home page at http://legalaidsc.org/ and click on the red “Fire Attorney Volunteer” button to register. We anticipate running informational clinics, and providing direct client services. We will be working closely with the regional collaboration and also the Sonoma County Bar Association on pro bono opportunities."
- Staff the emergency hotline: the State Bar of California is hosting an online sign-up for volunteer attorneys and law students interested in staffing the Emergency Hotline and/or aiding in recovery efforts. Follow this link to sign up: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JVZPFQG.
- Bay Area Legal Aid: "BayLegal will soon be mobilizing clinics and on-site services with staff and volunteers once it is safe to do so."